Did you ever make the decision to not expect anything of anyone because then you wouldn’t be disappointed?
Do you hate saying no to people ~ or turn into a grouch when things don’t turn out the way you had hoped?
Or have you decided to be satisfied with security rather than reach out for your big dreams?
All of these are signs that you are carrying disappointment in your psyche. If you don’t deal with it, you will continue to attract situations and people that disappoint you. Your own personal Groundhog Day.
I don’t know about you, but I’m only a fan of repetition when it’s good stuff. When I experience repeating patterns that don’t feel good, I look inside of myself to find and disable the attractor patterns so I can avoid them in the future. Mindfulness is the tool I use to do that.
Don’t take that part personally, by the way. Your attractor patterns can be changed. They don’t indicate who you really are. They only indicate what you have going on at a particular time in your life.
So if you’re walking around attracting disappointment, take a look inside. There is only one possible reason you are getting hung up: if you experienced a traumatic disappointment and you never really came to peace about it. And because you didn’t allow peace to emerge, you were never able to understand the deeper purpose behind it happening. [Note: those two things DO NOT usually happen in the reverse order.]
Ah, the folly of denied forgiveness. We continue to create what we refuse to release.
When you forgive you aren’t saying that the person who let you down was right. You are simply deciding not to be disappointed about it any more. You are taking the rocks out of your proverbial backpack and putting them down on the ground.
When you forgive, you’ll notice a few shifts in your consciousness that will show you’re moving in the right direction.
1. You will gracefully accept boundaries, such as when others tell you “no”.
2. You won’t mind telling other people, places, or situations “no”.
3. If something doesn’t turn out the way you intended it to, your essential belief in the rightness of the world will remain unshaken. You will trust that there is a reason for the event which you may or may not understand.
4. You will explore life without fear because you know that ultimately there is a purpose for everything, even pain, and you are no longer attached to staying “safe”.
And finally, when this whole concept really lands for you:
5. You will know that if you don’t get what you thought you wanted, you will get something even better.
Unlocking this new consciousness in yourself is easy. Just forgive, and let the past come to rest so you can create your future, unafraid.