Giving back is one of my core values.
I have been very fortunate in my life, and I have always believed that fortune is accompanied by the responsibility to lift up those who have not had the same experience. I was raised by people who also modeled this belief.
In addition to being fortunate, I have also experienced a lot of struggle. Those struggles have grounded my desire to help others in a well of deep compassion rather than guilt because of my privilege.
Some of the many ways I’ve given back include:
- Chairing a task force that worked to create sustainable change in the political climate of Minnesota
- Serving in the United States Peace Corps for two years
- Housing a homeless youth until he could access foster care
- Training as a hospice volunteer, and sitting with the dying and their families
- Offering my time to local nonprofits as a board member
- Starting a nonprofit which provides personal and professional support to coaches in California
It is my general practice to donate 10% of my annual profits to organizations working towards environmental conservation, social justice, or gender equality.